The crow's woes

 

As the sun was setting in the west behind the mighty mountains of the Kashi lineage, the dark clouds started to encircle the sky. Two lone crows were flying below the heavy clouds seemingly lost their way home. Lightning struck hard and one could hear the earth shattering thunder.

Whoosh, the trees were swinging hard and the thunderous downpour started to fall.

Ka-ah and Kaaagh were trying hard to fly amidst the rains.

Ka-ah, let’s fly down and wait on that tree until the rain reduces, said Kaaagh. I don’t think we can find our way properly amidst this heavy downpour. Also, it’s too windy.

I told you to eat well. You are too skinny. That’s why you are not able to fly in this weather, remarked Ka-ah.

Hey ka-ah, I’m falling below. Please help me, cried Kaaagh.

The two birds struggled their way towards the ground and finally perched themselves upon a lush green tree.

I’m feeling so faint and it’s too cold, shivered Kaaagh. 

Kaaagh was the youngest sister of Koro clan and Ka-ah was assigned the task of teaching her the ways. Though ka-ah, herself was merely a week older than Kaaagh, she was an excellent flyer and eluded confidence. In short span of time, she has showed remarkable skills by finding food almost every hunt day for the clan.

Koro clan stayed together and cawed to share their food. One must learn from the Koro’s about sharing. They never eat alone. They are a tight unit.

But now, the two little crows were far from their clan.

It was getting darker and darker and Kaaagh was trembling fiercely.

Oh, I feel so sick. I don’t think I can fly even once the rain stops and weather gets better.

Ka-ah flew closer to Kaaagh and rubber her off.

Don’t you worry. We will find a way. Let’s caw loudly. Someone might find us.

And they cawed and cawed but their voices were too tiny against the anger of clashing clouds.

Tired and exhausted the crows fell silent for a while.

The rain god showed no mercy. The crows perched their claws harder into the branch and held on to it strongly. 

Rains finally receded after causing havoc for straight 20 hours and Ka-ah heaved a sigh of relief.

Kaaagh, do you realise where we are?

Ka-ah, I don’t have any strength in me. I only know we are so far from home. I really wish to go home but I can’t move.

Kaaagh, let me help you. Ka-ah nudged Kaaagh to make her fly but the dear bird just fell off the branch.

Oh Dear! Kaaagh. Get up.

Kaaagh had fainted. Ka-ah summoned up all her strength and pulled Kaaagh back on the closest branch and slowly tried to regain Kaaagh.

We need to find Dr.Raven, Ka-ah thought aloud.

Oh, no doctor please. He is very tough, faintly cried Kaaagh. He would give me rats and vegetables to eat. I don’t want them.

Kaaagh, even to find him we must first fly towards home. But currently I don’t think you can fly with those injured wings.

Ka-ah looked around and it was the apple tree. She poked her beak and brought some of the ripe apples to feed kaaagh.

Kaaagh hesitated. Oh, I hate apples.

It’s not the time to choose favourites Kaaagh, insisted ka-ah.

Kaaagh slowly peaked some smaller portions of the fruit and dozed off. Later Ka-ah found other food from nearby places for Kaaagh.

Ka-ah repeated this routine for few days until Kaaagh regained her strength.

Kaaagh finally garnered her strength back to fly. It was all thanks to the efforts of ka-ah.

Ka-ah asked, remember this tree Kaaagh? We have travelled past this tree many times earlier but you never liked to eat these apples.

Had you eaten them before along with your other favourite foods, it would have given you some strength.

That’s true Ka-ah. I find more strength than before now. I think I can fly better and faster and we don’t need to visit Dr. Raven.

Yes Kaaagh. That’s why they say, 'An apple a day keeps the doctor away’.


Moral of the story: Eat your apples to avoid reading stories like these 😉


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fragrance - The invisible connect

I want to keep you happy!