Saga of Newborn - One event, Varied fears.
**Uzahh..Uzahh..
Loud sound of a baby’s cry echos from the confines of ward room 69. A middle-aged
man pacing up and down the corridor outside, stops and smiles at his 3 year old
daughter who seemed lost in her world. They glance at the ward room as a nurse
storms out.
‘Mr.Akash,
Congratulations. It’s a baby boy. You can go see your prince after 3 hours.
Appa.
I want to see Amma. Shall I go in please?.
Wait
Krithi. Amma needs rest for sometime. Lets go to canteen and, once we are back,
we will go and see her. Ok?’**
**Hours
later, Krithi & Akash enter the ward room to see the tiny little prince
wrapped up in a neat white cloth and slowly moving inside the cradle.
As
they peep together to look at the baby and each one gets lost in their world of
thoughts.
Aww.. he is so tiny
now. I need to feed him well. Oh my god! Why isn’t he crying now? Is he ok?
Doctor said he is normal, but I’m worried. Krithi cried so much. Need to ask
Akash to check with doctor. That astrologer told he has good future. I will
make him study well. Oh! Also we should put him in music class once he starts
to speak. Krithi started speaking when she was turning 1 itself. My charming
dear boy. I should also keep him away from the bad eyes of this nagging
neighbor Shanthi.
Kavitha
was earnestly looking at her son and gave a sigh.
Oh! Amma is looking
more at this baby now. She didn’t even look at me properly after I came inside.
Will Amma forget me. Will Amma not like me anymore? I don’t like this boy. He
is smiling at me now. Oi, baby they are my parents. Not yours. I will tell Amma
and Appa that I won’t do mischief and ask them to leave this baby in hospital
itself. When should I tell them? I won’t give him my barbie and scooby is also
mine. I will pinch him when Amma & Appa is sleeping, then the boy won’t
like to come home. That’s better idea.
Krithi
was filled with apprehension looking at her younger brother.
How cute he is!
Kavitha and Kriti must be happy now. He is already smiling. Before I could
realise he’ll start going to school. Kavitha will be hell bent in enrolling him
in all stupid extra classes just like she did for Krithi. Krithi’s school is
very expensive. Then college. Already Krithi says she wants to be doctor. What
if he also says doctor or engineer. How am I going to afford the fees for all
this? I wish I get the strength to fulfill all their dreams. I’m afraid already...
Can I be a good father to them? Will I be able to afford all the expenditure
without compromising?
Akash
was having mixed feelings looking at his new born son.
Who are all these
strange people? Where am I? What am I doing? This guy with black thing above
his lips. He is so scary. He looks like he is going to kill me with just his
look. This girl here... she is ready to throw me down and rip me apart any
moment now. She is angry at me. I don’t know why. Oh! This lady is sweet. But
she is also scary. What big eyes she has…everyone is staring at me. I don’t
want to be here. Please take me away from this strange place. *bwaaaaaaaaaaahhh*
The
baby started crying.
Nurse
enters the ward and asks Akash & Krithi to leave the room as it is time to
feed him. As they hesitate to leave, she urges them hard to leave the room
terrified of the Doctors’ scolding.
- Divya Venkatesan
Comments
Post a Comment