Summer Holidays


Saranya was pacing up and down at the Central Railway Station. She was very restless. Glancing a look at her elder sister Priyanka, who seemed visibly lost in a book. Saranya wondered how her sister could be so calm. Their train was late.
Saran, why don’t you sit! That board showed; our train is late by an hour. What’s the purpose of you pacing? Amma! Why don’t you tell her? exasperated Priyanka.
‘Ha-ha!’ smiled Kamala. ‘She is too excited to see Paati (Grandma). Well, your Paati has promised her too many things this summer. Let her be.’

A cart with books piled on it passed by them and both the girls longingly chanced a look at their mother. “Amma, please! Just one more book.” With visible excitement, Priyanka rose up from the suitcase she was sitting on, to see the neatly lined comics of Tinkle, Chacha and Gokulams.
Three books of Tinkle, 2 Gokulams and one colouring book was brought to entertain themselves all the way till they reached Madurai, Kamala’s home town.

Kamala was the 3rd daughter of her parents and last of the eight siblings. Marriage to Ravindran made her shift to Chennai. Summer vacation was eagerly awaited and looked forward by the kids as they would join with their cousins for a gala time at their grandparents’ home.

Amma, when is Pooja Didi reaching there? asked Priyanka.
Pooja and Soundarya have already reached Madurai yesterday. So, is your fight with Soundarya over Priyu?
Soundarya and Priyanka were of the same age and same class. Coincidently they were born on the same date in the month of June & July and were more of friends than cousins.
Oh yes! Last time we had a huge fight during December holidays. Sound read my diary, Amma!
Raising an eyebrow, Kamala asked; “Anyways you tell her all your secrets, then why worried if she reads your diary.”
Yes, Amma! I do tell her everything, but still how can she read the diary without telling me! Anyways, after that winter holidays I did write to her and we patched up. Guess what Amma, Sound and Pooja Didi are learning badminton and Sound said she would teach me when we meet at Madurai. I just can’t wait to see Sound. She told me a lot of exciting things when she wrote to me last time. Her school even took them for one day trip to the Bhilai Steel Plant. She said it was so very interesting. And... Pooja Didi said she will lend me her Enid Blyton books and...

Ha-ha! Hold on for few hours dear. The train has come. Let’s find our compartment and get in.

Screeching noise, the train halted. Saranya, ran about and found the S8 apartment in which they had to get in, but to her utter dismay she couldn’t jump high enough to check their names on the list. Saranya was tall for her age, yet not enough to check the list.
“Move Saran, let me check.” Priyanka checked the list and confirmed the berths to her mother.

Saranya, rushed in to find her seat next to the window and waved at the passerby as the train started to move. She was but a cute girl all of 6 years and the youngest amongst the cousins.

Amma..! Please tell Gokul and Siddhu anna to play with me also. This time, I promise that I will not cry even if they tease me. And. I also promise I won’t complain to Grandma or you. God Promise, Amma.

Laughing heartily, Kamala smiled at the lady who sat beside her.
Train journeys meant friendship with strangers. Conversations blossomed among the unknown and these friendships were cherished till the journey ends. Hours passed by, as they ate Puliogare, idlies, curd rice with mustard sprinkled on it and chatted with fellow passengers.

As the train stopped at the Madurai Junction, Kamala and the girls bid byes to their compartment passengers and searched for the familiar face. At the platform entrance, they found the eager faces of Vicky uncle, Siddhu and Soundarya.

Hi Anna, how are you? Siddhu, kanna! Exclaimed Kamala. You seem to have grown up another two inches tall. Looks like next summer you will become taller than Anna itself.
Yes Athai (aunt). Oi, Saran papa! How are you? School over ah? What did you do in train today?
I’m not papa anymore Anna. I am going to 2nd Stardard now.  Saranya smirked at Siddhu. You should include me in all games now. I will play without crying.
They walked the talk and moved towards the parking. Soundarya and Priyanka were already in deep conversation by then.

Hey! I have something to tell you Priyu. I couldn’t write it in the last letter. I was afraid Periamma (Aunt) might read it.
What is it? Tell me na! Priyanka couldn’t hold her excitement.
No ways, I can tell you now. Siddhu Anna will hear us. I will tell you tonight when we go to the terrace. So, how was the train journey? …..

The conversations continued and they reached the ‘Padmasri’. It was a duplex house and named Padmasri after Kamala’s parents Padma & Srinivasan. The energy was different. The voices were very clear and the vibration could be felt when one entered the Ranga Road itself.

It was already evening; boys were out playing cricket and two girls were playing badminton a little distant from there. As Vicky halted the car, Rajesh, Gokul, Pooja, Anu and Rishi ran along to meet Kamala and the girls.

A wave of hellos and greetings were exchanged and the gathering size increased. A soft breeze passed by and Saranya turned to look beyond her cousins.

There she was near the door. The charismatic lady with a charming smile.

Paati…. (Daadhi/ Grandma). Saranya calling fondly, sprinted towards her and hugged.
Hi da kutti! How are you? Come come. I have made Mysore Pak and Ribbon pakoda for you.
Wow. Paati. You are the best. How do you know that I like them? Will you also make me Rava ladoo like last time? Where is Thatha? I will go see him. Saranya started to move.
Saranya dear. Wash your hands and legs first and then go everywhere. Thatha is behind the house watering the plants.
Come Kamala. Come Priyanka dear. Come in. Pasangala (Kids)! You also wash up and come in, Padma affectionately called them all. Freshen up and have some snacks first.

Brothers and sisters sat around and enjoyed the yummy sweets and savouries made by their Paati. According to them, she was the best cook in the world. She had the best stories to tell and she was the best grandmother ever.

There was chatter all around. The excitement was high. Everyone was there. The cousins were all in. It was the start of summer holidays and there seemed no stop to the fun that was unfolding. It felt forever.

As they ate the savories, Siddhu called out to Pooja to drawn out the holiday schedule for the cousins and believe it or not, they follow it religiously.
  



  
This, would be their routine for month long. For, summer holidays after-all meant undefinable warmth, innumerable laughter, silly fights, unlimited love, strictly-pampering grandparents, huge gang of cousins, naughty riots, awe inspiring times and fresh memories to make.

Something, thatnow looks like an event only till the millennial generation. Gen Z. You may be missing, something beyond words.

In complete nostalgia,
Divya Venkatesan


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fragrance - The invisible connect

I want to keep you happy!