A Trial!
Scene
1 - Two law associates are talking at the corridor of a long court room halls.
Pranav: Where are you heading Sam?
Samantha: Court room 5, of course! Don’t
you remember Pranav? Today is the trial day for Vikash. The driver who ruthlessly
killed that poor little girl Sabani.
Pranav: That was such a tragedy right!
We have come across so many cases, but this was brutal. We believe these
drivers, employ them and send kids. But, see what has come upon. It really
troubles me.
Sam: Oh man! That’s true. I heard,
he kept denying about committing the murder even after the Assistant Commissioner
literally caved into him.
Pranav: Oh! You do have your sources (smirked Pranav). Since this is a
pro-bono case, who has volunteered to represent Vikash?
Sam: Mr. Jaswesh Saini. Can you
believe that?
Pranav: Wow! Really? Generally, he
doesn’t encourage taking up cases where there is a chance of losing. This is
clear cut case of murder for money.
Sam: Yeah that’s what I still don’t
understand. How he took up this case.
Pranav: Guess he saw something that we
all miss to see. He might spin some surprise at the hearing.
Sam: Whoa! Pranav, if we keep talking, they won’t let me
in the courtroom. Judge Sophia is the honour today and you know her. She
doesn’t entertain anyone after trial begins.
Pranav: Wait. I’m coming too. I really
want to see the guy sentenced to death.
Scene
2 – Inside the courtroom
Speaker: Order order order.
Judge: The trail is about to begin.
All of you take your seats and maintain silence. Public prosecutor, you may go
ahead with your arguments.
Public
Prosecutor (PP)
- Thank you, my lord.
PP: My lord, is there at all
anything to argue in this case? Mr.Vikash standing here in the box has murdered
for money. As we all know, Sabani Mishra is the daughter of business tycoon
Mr.Himesh Mishra. Vikash, being a man of poor means and a big family, knowing
this fact started to get close to Sabani and showered his affections on her.
Sabani grew fond of him. The Mishras
believed in him and thought it was all in good faith. But, as the facts and
several evidences that we have furnished indicates, Vikash had planned the
kidnapping of Sabani, due to denial of money from Mishra, proceeded to kill
her. He kidnapped her, acted as if he was hit from the back and someone else
kidnapped Sabani. Once the police got involved, he panicked and killed the
girl. That is all for now, my lord. I plead you to rule Vikash as guilty and bring
justice to the Mishras’.
Judge: Mr.Saini, you may now go ahead
with your counter arguments.
Saini: Thank you, my lord. Firstly, I
would like to call upon Mrs.Yuvathi Mishra to the witness box.
Speaker: Yuvathi. Yuvathi. Yuvathi.
Saini: Yuvathi, do you know this guy?
Yuvathi: Yes sir. He is our driver. He
takes Sabani to school every day. Also does odd jobs for us.
Saini: Alright. So how long has he
been known to you?
Yuvathi: For two years now.
Saini: How did you come to know him?
Yuvathi: I got his details from Sabani’s
classmates’ mother.
Saini: Good. So, did you trust him?
Yuvathi: Well, yes. He seemed decent and
a known driver around the neighborhood.
Saini: Alright. What makes you sure
that he only abducted and killed Sabani?
Yuvathi: Last week, he came to our house
while dropping Sabani and asked for 1 lakh rupees. He mentioned that his
daughter was admitted in hospital and being treated for Leukemia.
Saini: Did you give him?
Yuvathi: No. I told him I can give him
some money but not 1 lakh.
Saini: How did he react?
Yuvathi: (Getting emotional) He pleaded first and when I told him, we cannot
give so much money suddenly, he raised his voice and told that I will
understand his pain only when I lose my daughter and stomped off. I did not know;
he would really do anything to my daughter! Then that day, that day... she is
kidnapped and we get the ransom call. We called the police to help but then she
is killed! (breaks down)
Saini: Thank you very much. One last
question. How long has your maid been employed with you?
Yuvathi: (looking surprised) Who Jhanvi? She has been with us for more than 1
year. She came with excellent reference from my cousin.
Saini: Thank you. Your honor, now I
would like to call upon the maid, Jhanvi.
Speaker: Jhanvi. Jhanvi. Jhanvi.
Saini: Jhanvi, how did you come to
work at this house?
Jhanvi: Sir, I was in need of
employment, when my uncle’s friend recommended me to madam.
Saini: Ok, tell me what happened on
the day of tragedy.
Jhanvi: I got baby (Sabani) ready for
school in the morning. Once she left for school, I finished house chores, went
to my house for lunch and then came back home before 3pm. That’s when baby
returns home. She did not come. The phone call came for ransom and I panicked
and called madam.
Saini: Who takes Sabani to school?
Jhanvi: (Pointing to Vikash) Vikash is the driver.
Saini: Ok. When you go to your home for
lunch, who else is there at home?
Jhanvi: No one. I’m alone in the
afternoon as my parents also go out to work.
Saini: Right.
Saini: (Looking at the judge) My Lord, I need permission to call another
person as requested earlier in my petition.
Judge looks at the
petition and nods her head
Speaker: Bhola. Bhola. Bhola.
Jhanvi gasps and
looks nervous. There is a commotion in the court room. A tall built man looking
pale enters the courtroom and stands in the opposite side of the witness box.
Speaker: Order. Order. Order.
Saini: Jhanvi, do you know this
person, Bhola?
Jhanvi: Shakes her head slowly.
Saini: Interesting, because Bhola
tells me he is your husband!
Jhanvi: Closes her eyes.
Saini: Your honor, Bhola here is
Jhanvi’s husband. He is a small-time crook and had just come out of prison. Her
family had disowned him after knowing this, but Jhanvi was in touch with him. I
had hired a private detective to unearth things in this case which everyone
overlooked. I personally know Vikash, so I was never convinced that he had
committed the crime. But since the fact that Sabani was last seen with Vikash
outside the school before she went missing and he was upset and had pressing
financial needs, he was the 1st person to be accused and no one
looked beyond him. Jhanvi here along with Bhola had similar financial issues.
When she overheard the last week’s conversation between Yuvathi and Vikash, she
had told Bhola, and they came up with the plan to kidnap Sabani, demand ransom
and put the blame on Vikash and run away with the money. But they did not
expect Mishras’ to go to police and when Sabani also became tough to handle
when they held her, they killed her. They had planted all the evidences against
Vikash so that he will be caught and punished. The private investigator found
Bhola yesterday only, and he has confessed to the crime.
Jhanvi starts to
cry.
Judge:
The court is adjourned for an hour. We shall have closing remarks and the
judgement will be made.
Scene
3 – In the corridor
Huge commotion at
the corridor.
Pranav: Sam, I really believed that
Vikash abducted the girl for money. Who knew the maid would have done it!
Sam: Yes Pranav. I feel bad for
Vikash. He had never done it, but since he was accused first, the whole world
believed him to have been guilty even before he was pronounced guilty. This
should teach us not to believe in everything till we get the facts and
evidences right!
--xxx--
P.S - This post has been written in collaboration with a friend, Soundarya - on the topic Belief!
Comments
Post a Comment